Monday, December 17, 2012

You Can Afford Christmas

 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  Philippians 4:12 (NIV)

Bells ringing, carol singing, lights blinging—ahh,  the sights and sounds of Christmas. How I long for the childlike anticipation of Christmas past when my heavy eyes fought to stay open at bedtime and my mind imagining numerous gifts of all sizes under the tree. In my youth, I never worried how my mom paid for every present given to me. I was oblivious to the planning, the saving and the buying that went into putting the twinkle in the eyes of my mother’s children at Christmas. Now that I’m grown with children of my own, I appreciate the efforts of my single mother to make every year memorable whether in times of plenty or in times of lack.
What we lacked in material gifts, we more than made up for with the overflowing joy of the celebration of Jesus Christ’s birth. The special sounds and sights of Christmas filled our hearts. The sounds of Christmas pageants and church bells ringing made a joyful noise in our ears. The sights of the Bethlehem star shinning in house windows and decorative angels on tree tops still symbolizing the shepherd’s announcement of peace on earth and good will to men.
Thank you, Father, for filling our hearts with praise and contentment especially when we lack financial resource during times when children anticipate gifts from their parents and guardians the most. Help us remember your gifts of heavenly joy and peace that comfort us during circumstances and situations that leave us in want.

© 2012 Danielle Martin Moffett

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Daniell, I think all of us have had a Christmas past like this one. But, thank God, we have come past that and experienced the true meaning of Christmas as we grew in the knowledge of the love of God and His Son, Jesus. Evelyn R.