Wednesday, December 12, 2012

CHRISTMAS LOST


“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” John 3:16 (NKJV)
I didn’t grow up in a Christian home. We believed in God, but never went to church. My father, a survivor of the Great Depression, worked every day and anywhere he could. He delivered newspapers, performed handy-man chores, helped build houses, then became an electrician working at the plant. He was a provider. Earning money was his master.
Gramma went to church for a while, until the dog ate her hat. She couldn’t afford another, so she quit going. Dad said church goers were hypocrites, that hats should not make a difference. Dad died at forty-six years old. I never knew if he accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior.
After I learned about Jesus and gave my heart to Him, I attempted to share the gospel with my aunt, who quickly shut me down.
“Your dad said all church-goers were hypocrites, and I believe he was right,” she said.
“You are right. That’s what he said. In reality, we are all beggars telling other beggars where to find bread, as we share Jesus Christ and His love.” I replied.
My aunt wouldn’t hear anything about Jesus. She died a few years later without a Savior. She was bitter, blamed everyone for her problems.
A grief comes over me as I see folks buy gifts and decorate everything and do not know Jesus. So sad! Jesus came to save the world. This Christmas, as all the lights and ornaments deck the halls, I pray that Jesus is the main theme.
Dear Lord. Thank You for loving us. Empower Your words we speak to touch hearts. Help us reach the lost. Amen
© 2012 Lois E. Gosley

No comments: