Sunday, December 9, 2012

Christmas Disobedience

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. "Honor your father and mother." Ephesians 6:1-2a (NIV)

Christmas was exciting when I was young and still believed in a Santa Claus. I daydreamed about the gifts I wanted but I knew we were poor. Although both my parents worked, we lived from one paycheck to the next. Having no money for extras, we never asked for anything.

One day while Mom worked and my sisters and I were home alone, I couldn't resist sneaking into Mom's bedroom. We weren't supposed to go in there when my parents weren't home. I thought it wouldn't matter if no one saw me. Once inside, I began snooping around.

My parent's closet had no door, just a curtin covering the doorway. I tiptoed over and peeked behind the curtain. My eyes widened at the sight of a blue two-wheeler and other gifts on the upper shelf. I closed the curtain and tiptoed quickly from the bedroom. My heart pounded with excitement, but I couldn't tell anyone of my disobedience. I feared the punishment Mom would give me if she discovered my terrible, sweet secret. Guilt is a burdensome thing.

It was only the year before Mom died that I finally confessed my disobedience to her. She listened, and when I was through, she smacked me on my behind, in mock disappointment. I hugged her and told her I was sorry. My punishment had been a guilty conscience all these years.

Confession is truly good for the soul. Scripture teaches that those who confess their sin find mercy. Jeremiah 28:13.

Father, although my sin was small, it was still disobedience. Forgive me, Lord, for my weakness. Amen.

(c) 2012 Evelyn B. Ryan

No comments: