Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Grinch's Heart


So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; . . . Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God. Proverb 2:1-2, 5 (KJV)

We have all heard the story of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.” It is a timeless story about a changed heart.

My favorite part of the story is when the Grinch puts his hand by his ear waiting to hear the cries of the Whos. Instead of cries of despair, he hears them greet Christmas morning with a song. He does not understand what he is hearing. All kinds of questions enters his thoughts. He listens again and this time truly hears the wisdom of the Whos. His heart receives a better understanding of the meaning of Christmas. Not only did his heart grow three times larger, it changed.

Each year during this time of the season I seek to incline my heart to the words of God, renewing myself with a better understanding of His message and receiving His knowledge.

Working at a toy store at Christmas, and all the hassle that goes with that, it is so easy to get into a Grinch-like state and allow my heart to grow cold and bitter. Sometime I just want to crawl into a hole to hide.

When I finally take a moment to be still, listen with my ears and my heart, I will receive all the blessings that God has for me. My heart also grows and changes with the knowledge of God.

Thank you, Jesus, for changing my heart. I count the many blessings You give each Christmas season. Help me to always keep my incline ears and apply heart to You.

© 2012 Dawn M Sexton

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Dawn, I don't think one of us can deny that at one time or another we have all had a grinches heart, even for a little while. Christmas is so commercialized that when we come to the end of our money, we just want to run home and hide, not bothering to see whom else we have to buy a gift. It is only by the love of Jesus that our hearts are softened to Him once more. Evelyn R.