Sunday, December 16, 2012

Change of Address


For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly await for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. Ephesians 3:20 (NAS)

This year has been especially difficult for me to get started on the usual preparation for the holiday season. Normally, by the end of October, I have already ordered and received our family photo Christmas cards. By November, they are addressed, stamped with Madonna and Child and ready be sent out, spreading cheer to friends and family all across the continent, a few will even go to other countries.

This winter is different. Way behind schedule, I gloomily got out my address book with the alphabetical Christmas card list in the back. Each year as I begin to send out cards I am saddened by the realization that more and more of our dear friends and loved ones are no longer with us. Many have gone on to be with the Lord.

This year was more painful than usual. My dad became one of those who will be missed, as he went to be with Jesus a week before Thanksgiving. Staring at his name through tears, it occurred to me that while the beloved names of people on my list are decreasing, the names in the roll book of Heaven are increasing! My precious friends and family have simply relocated. They have a glorious new home with a new address. And someday, with great expectation and hope I can look forward to moving there also.

 So, this year I won't erase them from my address book. Instead, I will joyfully write the new address next to their name—Heaven.

 Dear Father, I thankfully praise You for the promise of Heaven for those who love You. Amen. 
© 2012 Bonnie Mae Evans

No comments: