Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Homemade Christmas


And she brought forth her first born son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. Luke 2:7 (KJV)

When I was still a child I remembered one Christmas that my parent were short of funds. We did not receive any purchased presents. So my parent came up with this idea to make it a Homemade Christmas.

We collected things from around the house to make the decorations for the tree. While the popcorn was popping and the cookies baking we cut construction papers into strips. We use these strips to make garland for the tree. Once the popcorn was ready we strung those with fresh cranberry to make more garland.

While the cookies cooled we poked small holes on top, put strings through them and hung the ornaments. The left over construction papers were folded into origami shape ornaments, covered in glitter and added to the tree.

Even now as I look back I don't think I love another Christmas as much as I did this one.

When Mary and Joseph arrived in Bethlehem, there was no where for them to stay. There was no room in the inn so they were force to make do with what was available at the stables. They had to use the materials on hand---swaddling clothes and a manger, to bring in the first Christmas. Everything was homemade.

I am sure that Mary would relate to a homemade only Christmas since she had to make do with what was available.


The greatest gift was Jesus.

Thank you, Jesus, for each Christmas season. Help me to keep the season simple and focus on you, the greatest gift of all.

© 2012 Dawn M Sexton

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Dawn, I remember a few "homemade" Christmases too. Funny, how you recall them before any, more affluent ones, huh? But, Jesus was in all of them. Evelyn R.