Friday, December 14, 2012

First Christmas Without Mom

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” John 3:16 (NASB)

 Recently my mother went home to be with the Lord. This will be my first Christmas without her. During her memorial service, I shared memories of my mother’s love for Christmas. She enjoyed buying and making gifts, decorating the house and tree, baking and preparing meals, and sharing time with extended family. She loved surprises and special gifts. Mom was as happy giving presents as she was receiving them. She even enjoyed wrapping them

 Several Christmas gifts stand out in my memory: handcrafted doll furniture, a hand-sewn rag doll with clothes and, a ballerina gown. One year she painted bicycles for my brother and me. I remember how happy she was when my seriously injured Dad came home from the hospital just for Christmas Day. Reflecting on my childhood, she is part of all the memories.

t is hard to imagine Christmas without my mom, but I want to celebrate her life. Her creativity revealed love for her family through all the special things she did for us. My mother’s love for us is a reminder of God’s love. After all, isn’t Christmas a celebration of God’s love in giving His Son to us? God prepared the way for His coming with prophecies throughout the Bible, but we were surprised when He arrived as a tiny baby. Jesus surprised us again when He humbled Himself to die for our sins on a cruel cross.

 Father, thank you for the gift of my mother’s life, and thank you for the gift of salvation through your Son.

 
© 2012 Diane E. Hussey

 

 

No comments: