Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmas Lists

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:9-18 (NIV)

I tucked my legs beneath me on the sofa, enjoying the Christmas lights as they bathed the room in their soft hue. I reached for a notebook, ready to tax my brain guessing what my husband wanted for Christmas this year—and uncovered my Bible. Its brass placeholder blazed to life, a cross of reflected light.

Picking up the Bible, I opened to Romans 12:1, and smiled to read immediately about presenting my body as a living sacrifice to God. Merry Christmas, Jesus! Reading on, my own list became insignificant as I learned how to present myself to Him. I realized then why the best gifts are intangible: they bring unity, which Jesus desires above all else.

I’m still guessing what my husband wants for Christmas this year, but not Christ. I think I’ll give Him . . . Me!

Lord, as we prepare for Christmas, make us one, that we might reflect your light to all.

© 2012 Katherine A. Fuller

No comments: