Friday, December 21, 2012

The Star

We saw His star in the east and have come to worship Him. Matthew 2:2b (NIV)

Years ago, the Hale-Bop comet came into earth's stratosphere. I stepped out on my back porch and there, in the sky, over my garden was a bright light with a long tail behind it. I stood a long while staring, but it didn't seem to move. Realizing that it must be the Hale-Bop comet that the news had reported, I became excited. Here was a once in a life time opportunity to see a real comet in the night sky.

My thoughts turned to the three wise men from the Orient. They had seen a bright star and knew it as a sign of a king who would be born, the Messiah whom the scriptures foretold. They followed where the star led, hoping to find the baby king. It took a long time, maybe as much as a year, or more, before they arrived at Bethlehem. At the end of their long journey, they found Jesus. Falling on their knees, they worshiped Him, presenting Him with gifts---gold, frankincense, and myrrh.

How long was the bright star in the heavens before the Christ child was born? How long did it remain, its bright rays pointing to where the Holy family lived? Was it still there when they had to escape Bethlehem and go to Egypt to save Jesus' life? When did it cease to be there? All these questions haunted me. Then, John 9:5 came to me. "While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."

Father, may Jesus continue to be the light that lives in Your children until His return. Amen.

(c) 2012 Evelyn B. Ryan

No comments: