Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Heavy To-do List



Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28 (KJV)

“Let’s get this, Ma,” Bill said, pointing to the advertisement for a weight vest. “It could be a family Christmas present. The weights can be adjusted, so you can wear it for bone density, Dad can wear it for weight loss, and I can wear it to help me bulk up with strength and endurance. Please, Ma. We can take turns wearing it.”

Ma answered, “Why would I want to add more weight to my load this season? My to-do list is heavy enough! I’ve got to shop for gifts, practice for the cantata, clean for company, attend six parties, bake cookies, and much more.  I also have to continue to work each day and keep up with the cleaning, cooking, and laundry. What I need is a vest that carries the load for me, not one that adds more weight to my back.”

Day-to-day life is already so hectic and stress-filled that packing more into a full calendar can weigh us down. With all of the social demands of the holiday season, Christmas can become more of a burden than a time of spiritual reflection and celebration. The Savior who we celebrate at Christmas tells us that His “yoke is easy,” and His “burden is light” (Matthew 11:30). We can cast all our cares on Him, knowing that He cares for us (I Peter 5:7). We can exchange the heavy burden of the season’s to-do list for joy in the Lord.

Father, take the weight from me that keeps me from experiencing the true joy of this blessed season. Help me to fix my eyes on you rather than on my to-do list. Amen.

© 2012  Nance

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

This is a true story for all of us who are stressed with all the "extras" that have to be taken care of at Christmas time. But, God is faithful to hear and give us the strength we need when we ask. God bless you, Nance.
Evelyn