Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Job Well Done

and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us. Hebrews 12:1c (NASB)

It had been a long afternoon working with my six-year old grandson on a button-making project for a political campaign. His dad taught him how to work the circle punch device, and he was busily punching out circles for me to put into the button-press machine. It was tiring, tedious work. When the project was completed, my grandson was still alongside me. He did not get bored nor did he run away to play. He persevered until the job was done.

“It is a very good quality to stick with a job no matter what. It’s important to finish well and not give up. I’m so proud of you,” I told him.

His dark blue eyes watched me, as he quietly listened. I sensed it was special to him to hear that I was proud of his work.

Perseverance and endurance are character qualities believers are encouraged to develop. In the book of Hebrews believers are told to persevere, or hold fast our confidence and our full assurance of faith firm until the end (Hebrews 3:6, 14; 10:22-23). Paul reminds us that God is watching, and He will reward those who persevere in doing good (Romans 2:5-7).

We all face situations in life, such as a job or a relationship where we feel like giving up. But quitting isn’t the answer. God tells us to hold on even when it is hard. When easier, selfish choices might be made in life, I want to stand with my hard-working grandson and hear our Savior say, “Well done, good and faithful servant!” (Matthew 25:21 NIV)

Father, strengthen us to run with endurance the race that You set before us.

© 2104 Diane E. Hussey

No comments: