Friday, July 4, 2014

I Pledge Allegiance

Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's. Mark 12:17 (NIV)

Recently I toured the living history museum at Fort McHenry, Maryland. The underground dungeons were cold and damp. The first chamber had wrist and ankle shackles embedded in the stone walls where enemy soldiers had been imprisoned. Turning to go, I imagined hearing low moans from the chambers behind me. History was thick here.

Outside of the fort we viewed the cannons located on the star points that shaped the outer walls. Here in the War of 1812, American cannons were aimed at the British ships in the Patapsco River trying to break through to the harbor and invade Baltimore.

A huge American flag flew over Fort McHenry as the cannon fire raged through the night. Francis Scott Key, an American aboard a British ship, watched for the flag through the night. At dawn, the damaged flag still flew, prompting Key, to take his pen and write a poem that later became the “The Star-Spangled Banner,” our national anthem.
My trip to Fort McHenry reminded me of the many who have fought to keep America free. I honor them. As U.S. citizens we owe allegiance to those who have sacrificed much to keep this country great. However our first allegiance should be to our God who has blessed us with His salvation.

Thank You Father, that I am free to make my first allegiance to You and to my Savior. Jesus.
© 2014 E. Bonnie Ryan

No comments: