Friday, July 25, 2014

CHARITY IS lOVE

"...we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive" Acts 20:35 b, c (NIV).

"I don't want to take charity from my kids," Mother insisted, her chin stuck out in a proud, stubborn stance

I said,"Mom, the word charity means love. We love you and want to help if you'll let us."My two sisters nodded in agreement.

"Besides that, Mom, to refuse to let us help you now when you need it is depriving us of our blessing. You did without a lot of things while raising us so now it's our pay back time. The Bible says 'it's more blessed to give than to receive.' (Acts 20:35). Do you want to deprive us of a blessing?"

A sheepish, contrite look came over her sweet face. She slowly shook her head and quietly said "no" as she accepted the envelope. Tears of gratitude ran down her face as she hugged each one of us and said, "I've got the best daughters in the world."

"We followed your example, Mom," I continued. "You have now allowed us to receive God's blessings. You encouraged us to pray and rely on God's word. You spent your life helping others through the teaching of God's Holy Spirit. Now you are learning God's truth about the blessings of receiving."

Thank You, Lord, for giving us the opportunity to enjoy the blessing of giving. Amen.

(c) 2014 E. Bonnie Ryan

1 comment:

Lois said...

That was very sweet and I can relate as I feel funny when my daughter gives me things. Good job.