Thursday, July 10, 2014

Astonishing Faith

The centurion replied, “…But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man of authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes," Matthew 8:8-9   (NIV).

At the time of Jesus, the Army of Rome was at the height of its power. The centurion was leader over one hundred troops. He knew the power his commands carried when he gave orders to his men.
Scripture does not tell us if this man had ever seen Jesus in person. Certainly he knew of Jesus and knew there was power in the words of Jesus because he simply asked Him to speak the command to heal.
In my mind’s eye I can picture Jesus walking along a path. People are following Him.  Many others are waiting excitedly hoping for His healing touch.
The statement from the centurion indicates that he understood Jesus to be much more than one claiming to be a healer. Evidently the centurion understood Jesus as a man with the authority to speak a command and the universe will obey. 
When Jesus heard the statement from the centurion, He must have stopped what He was doing. Scripture says He was astonished. “…and (He) said to those following him, I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.” Matthew 8:10 (NIV)
The faith of this ancient soldier is a beacon to me. Whatever I ask of Jesus, He is capable of making it happen. The centurion knew this even before the resurrection proved this to be fact.
Lord help me to remember and emulate the unfaltering and sure faith of the Centurion. e wasHe He
© Christy Struben 2014

No comments: