Friday, August 1, 2014

KANSAS TO BALTIMORE

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose Romans 8:28 (NIV).

A woman new to the church Bible study introduced herself with a smile and said, “I’m a fellow Christian visiting Baltimore from the Sunflower State of Kansas.” She asked us to pray for her brother who was in hospice care. I was startled when she mentioned his name.

“Did he write a book about alcoholism?” I asked.
“Yes he did,” she answered. “Did you read it?”
“I taught a college class about addiction for many years. The purpose of the class was to prepare teachers to instruct students about substance abuse. Your brother’s book was on my required reading list.”
“Please write my brother,” she said. “It would cheer him to hear that story.”
In answer to my letter, the man’s wife wrote, “My husband had tears in his eyes when I read your letter to him. He thanked God that you presented to teachers. His hope is they will return to their classrooms and bring the facts concerning substance abuse to many others. What a blessing this was for him to hear, especially at this  difficult time!”
Some may call this co-incidental. The writer, his wife, his sister, the members of this Bible study group and I would call this a “God-incident.” God had called this man to fulfill a specific purpose. Many people were touched as our Lord reached out to this dying man confirming the positive consequences of His obedience to the call.
Heavenly Father, help us to hear Your call on our lives and to fulfill the purpose You have for each of us.
© 2014 Christy Struben

No comments: