Friday, August 22, 2014

THE GIFT OF SONG

...whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God 1 Corinthians 10:31b (NIV).

I had a dream that Barbara arrived in heaven. As she passed Jesus, who was there to greet all those entering heaven, He touched her shoulder and something clicked inside her. Barbara's throat was opened and she had the deep desire to sing. When she opened her mouth, the most beautiful song came out and danced on the air. At last, she could sing again.

When I awakened, I remembered when we were children, and my sister, Barbara, shut herself in our big walk-in closet. She sang at the top of her voice, pretending she was a famous opera star. Sometimes she yodeled, making her voice run up and down the scales. It was nerve-wracking to my older sister, Gene, and I, but nothing we said would make her shut up. She was delighted with her singing.

Barbara sang every chance she could as she grew up. I often sang with her at our yearly family reunions, choosing songs that enabled us to harmonize. When she was ill with Lou Gehrig's disease, I asked her to sing with me in church. She cried and said, "My voice has gone away." She could no longer carry a tune. Instead of singing, we cried together for her loss.

When I dreamed about Barbara getting her voice back, more beautiful than ever, it was a confirmation that she was singing to our Lord. I knew she was doing her best for the glory of God.

Dear Lord, one day let me sing again with Barbara, harmonizing a song for Your glory. Amen.

(c) 2014 E. Bonnie Ryan

1 comment:

Lois said...

Very nice, EBonnie. Your family had lots of love and its evident in your stories.