Sunday, June 1, 2014

Lean on Me


Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.  Jeremiah 33:3 (NIV)

Had I only known and understood this invitation and promise as a youth it would have saved me a good bit of confusion. In turn, I feel I could have more effectively communicated that understanding to my children. 

Growing up in the military life meant home was not permanent for more than two or three years at a time. There were benefits of travel and exposure to other cultures, as well as downsides in growing up away from multigenerational family, friendships often being short lived and church home being ever-changing.

My “roots” have been in Maryland for more than thirty years now. My children were born and have grown into adulthood in Maryland with less change in surroundings. They still talk to or run in to friends and classmates they went to school with, they’ve known Mountain as their one and only childhood church home.

Goegraphically Home may change, but God is constant, He's been with me wherever I've been. I call on Him and He answers me. His word gives me continual resource and guidance. 

God provides, in all circumstances.  While I may not understand the provision in the moment, later reflection often offers the clarification of that provision for me. I lean on Him now with an eagerness to learn and grow in His word and love. With Him I share my greatest accomplishments and joys; I trust my deepest concerns and life’s trials to His care in prayer.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the invitation to call on You, no matter where we are, and for blessing us with your promise of sovereignty and salvation.  In the name of our Savior. Amen


© 2014 Atalie Shackelford

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Atalie, this is a reflection of my first twenty four years of marriage, being the wife of a service man. Thanks for writing it. It brings me many memories. How similar our circumstances are.

E. Bonnie