Friday, June 20, 2014

Accidental Contentment


Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content.   Philippians 4:11 (NKJV)

The loudness of the impact was horrifying, our cars colliding, the sounds of metals crumbling, glass breaking, air bags exploding.   The sirens of police and ambulance screamed through the air. Although badly shaken, I was thankful that other than our cars, no one was seriously injured.  

The greatest blessing was that although my car was totaled, I walked away relatively unharmed with only a left shoulder sprain. Since I am right handed, I was able to continue to function as usual.

The lesson on contentment began when I had to adjust to life without a car something I had not done in over twenty-five years.  I was now forced to confront challenges that I had previously struggle with constantly: acceptance, humility and patience. I am now need to, ask for, accept rides and utilize public transportation.

While walking, my senses have been awakened to how magnificent and beautiful,God  created the world. The season appeared decently, the snow of the winter, the blooming of the flowers and now longer days and warmth a signal that summer is coming soon.  I became aware of things that I had never noticed when I was driving:  the chirping of birds, squirrels and rabbits scurrying as I approach.  The beauty of the clouds impressed me and even the patterns of rain.  Oh how excellent! 

 What had initially appeared to be a misfortune, ended up becoming a season to understand the meaning of grace, mercy and contentment

Thank you Master Teacher for using a car accident as a lesson to teach me how to be abased or abound   - Amen

© Wanda Currie 2014

No comments: