Friday, July 31, 2015

WHAT IF'ING

Have mercy, O Lord…let me receive my sight.” Mark 10:48-52 (RSV)

Sitting somewhat patiently, twisting and rolling a tissue in my hand, I peered into the Visual Field Test machine. While the doctor quickly switched slides, I made the comment, “Your slides are blurry.”

The doctor chuckled and replied, “That’s your cataracts. There’s a big change from last year. They are ready to be removed.

Cataract surgery! (I sighed).

My nurse will be in to review your options, and she’ll schedule your surgery.

The day and time was scheduled along with an eye drop regime Personally, I started a “What if” regime.

What if it doesn’t take? What if I get an eye infection? What if I go blind? What if I can’t drive anymore? What if I get sick and throw-up? What if my eyes get squinty and won’t open?

I knew a lady who had cataract surgery and her eyes teared all the time. Imagine, always crying! My anxiety barometer soared upward.

“Jesus, Help!”

Jesus spoke to my heart, “What if can’t help you. I came to save the lost, to heal the sick, and to give sight to the blind. You can’t serve what if and Me, too.”

Repenting of my faithless actions, I felt at peace. I reported for my surgery at 10:00 a.m. The doctor began his procedure. At 12:00 noon surgery was complete. I walked out of his Lab feeling great and enjoyed a bright new clean world. Now, only a regime of drops for a few days was required.

Dear Lord, may we always seek Your will for our lives. Our bodies will fail us, but may our trust in You, our Creator, Redeemer and Provider, remain secure. Amen 

© 2015 Lois Gosley

No comments: