Friday, July 24, 2015

ROBIN MYTH

“The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” Deuteronomy 31:8 (NIV)

I was always told never to touch a bird’s nest, because the mother birds would abandon the babies. I found this to be a myth.

There was a storm that caused a robin's nest to fall from a tree at the Mariner. This is a place I enjoy walking around to take pictures.

Two days after the storm, I stopped by the Mariner office and was told about the robins. The story goes like this, there was a certain lady walking by that noticed the nest on the ground and proceeded to put it back into the tree. She then picked up each chick and placed them in the nest.

So I went over to see if the robins were still alive. I was sure that they would not be because of the myth.

I watched as the parent birds brought bugs and worms time after time to feed the two babies. It was a surprise that they were still taking care of their little ones. The chicks look healthy and hungry. The parent robins did not abandon them.

Many people have similar myths about God. We might think that if we sin, we will fall out of His grace and that He will abandon us. But that is a myth. God will never abandon us. Like the robins, He still cares for us and picks us up to get healthy and strong again.

Lord, help me to see that You are always there. When I sin and fall on my face, thank you for picking me up and caring for me.

©2015 Dawn Sexton.

No comments: