Friday, August 30, 2019

MOONBEAMS, STARS AND STRIPES, AND GLITTER


When thou liest down, thou shall not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, 
and thy sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 4:24 (KJV). 

I sat there on the floor and wasn't sleepy any more, 
but wanted to view the midnight sky.
The diamonds flashing made me cry.
                                   
Oh, if only I could touch their flare and soar between the 
moonbeams there,
I'd slip through the mountains of glittery gloss
and toss it to the sky, viewing no loss.

I'd mount a moonbeam to slide through night 
to wherever it touched the earth so bright.
Suddenly the sky exploded in colors of red, white, and blue—
in honor of Independence Day that all the world knew.

I felt so proud to see the stars as they glowed, so bright.
My heart pounded and my eyes wept as I soared into the night.

Suddenly, I was home again. I hugged my knees and rested my chin.
I scanned the sky  that gave me glee. 
The only one to please was me.

But, then I felt a calming touch. It was the One I loved, so much. 
I had to thank Him for this night. It gave me such ethereal delight.

I knelt and gazed into the skies, then breathed my heartfelt joy, 
for it seemed I'd looked into the eyes of God's Own Son, 
His Baby Boy.

Thank You, Father, for the happy dreams You give me while I slumber. 
I am in the best of care. . . in Your loving arms. Amen.

© 2019  Evelyn B. Ryan

No comments: