Friday, August 9, 2019

GOD'S FRIEND

. . . This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem. Song of Solomon 5:16 (RSV)


My dad died of cancer at 46. I was 23 at the time. I had just started a new job at a Westinghouse Plant and I knew very few people. At that time, Westinghouse gave a physical when hiring, and by the end of the morning, I had made friends with the nurse, Mary Ann. (I guess anyone who sees you in your underwear becomes your friend.)

During the three day viewing, lots of people came to pay their respects. Dad was the baby of eight and I never saw his many older siblings or their families. Many came from the factory where Dad worked. Folks well meaning greetings and condolences were graciously received. Many were Mom's sisters. They all gathered around Mom, offering words of comfort. Then they came to me saying, "Take care of your mother. She needs you." Mom was in dire need of comfort. 

By the end of the three days, my brother Dick and I, were numb. 

Then, late afternoon, more men arrived from Dad's work. They entered, all dressed in grubby work clothes. In their midst came Mary Ann in her white nursing uniform. She shined like a star, brightening my gloomy day. She asked, "How I was doing? Do you need anything? She came for me!

I thank God for sending her. She came to fill a need in me only God could see. Although her visit was brief, the blessing was everlasting. Fifty years later I still remember her act of kindness. It encouraged me to be there for others.

Thank You Jesus, I pray to be Your useable friend and brighten someone's day. Amen
Ⓒ 2019 Lois Gosley

No comments: