Friday, August 23, 2019

ETERNAL NAILS

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)

There it is again, lurking just outside my heart’s door. Mentally I slam the door on fear, barring my body against it, trying to hold to it shut. I grab the hammer of my own reasoning and the nails of human will to assure it does not break through. All to no avail, the wood is splintering. My hands are too weak. The nails are too small. Fear’s hot breath is forcing its way in.

I’m losing the battle.

Calmly, gently, strong hands cover my trembling ones. The hands bear the beautiful scars of the nails that pierced them through . . . nails unlike the ones I hold. Mine were crafted by mere men. They are weak, already beginning to fail. The crucifixion nails were made by man as well; however, they were designed by God for His purposes, and are therefore eternal. They have assured our freedom from fear and its final defeat . . . forever.

How about you, my friend? Are you holding Jesus’ righteous right hand or like me at times, forgetting that fear has no place in our lives. Do you let it push through the doors of your heart and take up residence there? If we allow, it will boldly enter, claiming squatter’s rights.

We can just as boldly send fear packing with the arsenal of tools we’ve been given. Our toolbox is sufficiently supplied with prayer, scripture, and praise for the One who gives us peace.

Praise be to Jesus! Fear has no dominion over us. It was nailed to the cross for all eternity!

©2019 Bonnie Mae Evans

No comments: