Saturday, August 3, 2019

I DON'T WANT TO


Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11: 28-29 (NKJV)

God and I have been struggling lately. It’s me, not God. Nevertheless, the distance between us is great. I don’t want to pray, I don’t want to read my Bible, I don’t even want to go to church. What’s worse . . . I find myself increasingly angry with my fellow Christians. I question whether their living and loving mirrors Christ. Unfortunately, this frustration currently serves as the justification for my distance from God.

That is my complaint; now here’s my truth.

Being a Christian is not always easy. Having a heart for the hurting, the poor, the disenfranchised, and the lost is laborious. Seeking to build God’s kingdom on earth is hard. In all of my efforts to display Christ, do good, and be present for others, I have become burdened and heavy laden. In response to my burnout, I have distanced myself from the One who wants to restore me. That is not how Christ wants us to face our weariness.

The call of Christ is for all of us who are tired and weary to come unto Him. He wants to give us rest. Historically, a yoke was shared by a pair of oxen. The load was not designed to be carried by a single ox alone. Christ wants to share the weight of our daily struggles with us too, if only we will let Him.

Lord, when I am tired, carry the load with me. I don’t want to carry it alone. Amen.

© 2019 Dawn M. Wayman

No comments: