Friday, April 27, 2018

JOY?

As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may bae in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.  John 15:9-12 (NIV)
 
My working life was a series of strivings. Most people didn’t understand how competitive our work was. This morning I was thinking about how we all strive for position, power and money so we will be happy and enjoy life with all the good and fun things the world offers. But many who have obtained/attained those things report that they really don’t satisfy. Perhaps Solomon said it best: “Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.” Ecclesiastes 2:11 (NIV)
 
Now Jesus comes offering a path, not only to happiness, but to JOY. Complete joy! Wow! Joy may be thought of as quadruple-strength happiness. What is this path to complete joy?
·       Remain in Jesus’ love. You don’t have to earn it. You simply abide there.
·       Obey Jesus’ command. In verse 12, Jesus identifies that as “Love each other as I have loved you.”
 
There it is, from the very mouth of God! In our striving, love. In our competing, love. Instead of worrying, trust. Blessed with joy is the person who decides to live that way.
 
Lord, I surrender to Your love. Show me the way to live in it.  Amen.
 
© 2018 Parker Wayland

2 comments:

Christy said...


Deep thoughts. Well written. Christy

Evelyn R. said...

Hello, Parker.You have entered the place of God's love. May God give you many blessings. They will multiply when you share them with others who are striving to find the way to joy and happiness. Show those striving after God's own heart that loving and following Jesus' example will lead them forward to the road of righteousness. True joy and happiness awaits those who follow Jesus and His father, Jehovah. May His blessings be with you always.

Evelyn