Friday, April 13, 2018

COUNT IT ALL JOY

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. James 1:2-3 (NIV)

I’ve been struggling with a complaining Christian lately. It doesn’t matter the day or time; this person always seems to focus on the negative. Being in their presence was wearing me out! Then I had an aha moment that opened my eyes to my own shortcomings—I saw my log. I may not complain regularly, but I sure do struggle to find joy in all things.

Recently, I was running late for a training and found myself lost at the DC Navy Yard. While I should I have been grateful for a safe commute and the ability to walk freely, I was not. Instead, I was bothered by the 15-minute walk from the train station and frustrated when I could not find the training location with ease. I failed miserably at counting it all joy. As a result, I missed the beauty of the military base. My frustration prevented me from seeing it, but that’s minor when I consider the many things my lack of joy has caused me to miss. What about your joy?

I know life happens and there are moments when we struggle to experience joy. If you are like me, you may even get angry with God and question what He is doing during those times. But James tells us to look for the joy in the moments where our faith is being tested. That’s when our character is being built and God is reshaping our thought process. He is pushing us to find joy in all things.

Father, I struggle to count it all joy. It’s hard, but I’m asking You to help me do better.

© Dawn M. Wayman

1 comment:

Christy said...

Terrific reminder to working at living and counting it ALL joy. Tough job but it is what can help make life worth living.


Christy