Friday, January 27, 2017

JESUS VERSUS THE GPS

Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Since 2007 my husband and I travel to Georgia the last week in August for our annual family reunion.

I am the navigator.

I write down my uncle's address and program it into the GPS. Then, using my computer, I enter the same address and print the directions for the trip. It prints turn for turn, naming all the roads and route numbers. Then it prints the map to follow. What wonderful technology to show the way to our relative's home—a place I have loved to visit since I married fifty years ago.

Before the GPS was invented, one bought a map to plot out the route to travel to the intended destination. The invention of the GPS makes it a lot easier to travel to distant places, but it is not infallible. It will sometimes direct you to a longer route on unfamiliar roads or highways.

On the other hand, Jesus will always direct you to the right path on the road to heaven.

Following the road map to heaven with Jesus is much easier because we don't need a computer or a GPS to reach our goal. Our road map is the Holy Bible and the Route Director is Jesus. He told His newly appointed disciples in the scripture above to follow Him. He was going to take them places they had never been before, and the only directions they needed were given by Jesus during His three years of ministry.

Dear Jesus, help me to follow You so that I may not stray from Your path. Amen

© 2017 Evelyn B. Ryan


No comments: