Thursday, October 1, 2015

LIVE LIKE YOU'RE DYING

“O death, where is thy victory? O death, where is thy sting?” I Corinthian 15:55 (RSV) 

During an operation when I should have been under anesthetic, I awoke paralyzed. The pain of the surgeons cutting my abdomen was excruciating. My mental screams went unheard. Someone exclaimed, “We’re losing her.”

They did. My spirit left my body and hovered momentarily over the doctors, watching and listening to them. In a flash, God’s Holy Spirit joined me, and showed me many things from my past. I cried uncontrollably while reflecting on the abuse.

“Stop crying!” He said. Liquid love filled my entire being, so wonderful and peaceful. I longed to stay with Him. He said I had to go back.

Later, I learned this was called an NDE (Near Death Experience.)

While listening to Tim McGraw sing “Live Like Your Dying,” I heard it with new insight. I wanted to love deeper, and speak sweeter. I don’t want to ride a bull named Fumanchu, climb a mountain, or go sky diving.

Now my goals are to feed the poor, clothe the naked, and visit the sick. Withholding forgiveness doesn’t seem important any longer. I’m not afraid to die, but I’m not ready yet.

While I wait, I’ll share the Love of Jesus with those who feel unloved. Before, I had never felt loved. Experiencing Jesus’ love overwhelmed me to tears. After waking in the Recovery Room, the nurse tending me said, “Here’s a lady with a tear.

Dear Lord, quicken me to see the world’s needs through Your eyes. Here I am. Use me to show others what their first priority in life should be—serving You. Amen

© 2015 Lois Gosley

No comments: