Saturday, October 24, 2015

LONELY

...you will leave me all alone. Yet, I am not alone, for my Father is with me. John 16:32b (NIV)

When Charles and I married, we moved to South Dakota where he was stationed in the army. Charles left for work at 6 a.m. and didn't return for twelve long hours. To fill the void, my focus was on cleaning house, rearranging furniture, and playing with the kitten Charles had found.

Six months into my first pregnancy, loneliness began to seep into my bones. I was overjoyed when Charles brought mail from my family. Writing to them helped. The days grew longer with the coming of winter. Feelings of being cooped up overwhelmed me. No one to talk to, no phone, no television. By 9 p.m. we were in bed. It was not easy being a soldier's wife.

One day, feeling particularly alone, hot tears welled up into my eyes. Sobs came from deep within and before long, the landlady was at the door. She was concerned that something had happened to my baby. After assuring her that everything was alright, she left reluctantly. Exhausted, sleep overcame me as I lay on the couch.

Upon awakening, I stepped onto the cold front porch, searching the sky for a sign of the end to this emptiness. Snow began to fall! Breathing a silent, anguished prayer to God, a quiet peace crept over me. Suddenly realizing that Jesus was with me filled me with joy. I was not alone! Jesus and His Father filled that emptiness inside. Never again would feeling alone make me a slave to Satan's whims. God had set me free and filled me to overflowing with His love.

Thank You, Father, that You picked me up from my loneliness and showed me Your consoling love. Amen.

©2015 Evelyn B. Ryan

No comments: