Friday, September 4, 2015

FOLLOW YOUR FATHER

Take eat, this is my body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me. I Corinthians 11:24 (RSV)

Communion Sundays are special. I usually look forward to remembering with the cup and bread that Jesus sacrificed for me--the gift of eternal life is now mine. But this day, I was consumed with negative thoughts as I nursed and rehearsed the previous night's shouting battle at home.

It's all your fault." my husband had shouted, blaming me again.

I felt my anger was justified. I nonchalantly took the little wafer when the plate was passed.

The minister's words, quoting Jesus, broke into my reverie."Take, eat. This is my body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me." The congregation help up their wafer.

In front of me a father, holding a little boy eating Cheerios, held up his wafer. Instantly, the little boy held up his chubby fist, high over his head, holding a cheerio. He ate along with his father when hearing, "Take eat...in remembrance of Me.."

He was imitating his father, who was honoring his Father. Who am I honoring?

Humbled by my pre-occupation with self, I confessed, "Oh Lord, forgive me." Instantly, I focused on my Heavenly Father and His gift of forgiveness filled my heart. Gratefully, I ate my wafer.

"This cup is the new covenant in My Blood. Do this as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me." I solemnly took the cup and thanked Jesus for paying the price once and for all.

How can I not forgive after what You've done for me?

Dear Lord, Thank you for dying in my place, securing eternal Life with You. You did this not because I am good, but because you are Good. Amen

(c) 2015 Lois Gosley

No comments: