Friday, January 23, 2015

A PORTRAIT IN THE SNOW

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in darkness and your gloom be as the noonday Isaiah 58:10 (ESV).

The winter so bold and brutal forced itself upon the land. A bird perched himself on the snow covered bush outside my kitchen window. The bird kept looking towards the window and finally settled himself on the window sill. He was in search of food as the snow blanketed the ground several inches deep.

I crumpled bread and scattered the morsels over the snow covered landscape. The cold caused me to perform this task quickly. Within seconds, I felt the sting of winter’s touch, but warmly enjoyed the effort. After several minutes, an assortment of birds came for the sustenance. They were creating a collage of pecking colors over what appeared to be snow clouds from heaven. Some flew away after finding the unforeseen piece of bread. Others stayed near to engage in the unexpected feast. They kept coming as if something sacred had inhabited the land. It was an honor to feed these feathered treasures. The bread was a blessing to them and the act of giving them bread was a blessing to me.

In this act of giving, I witnessed a slice of heaven stirring outside my window. It was as if God had stretched his long, loving arm from a window in heaven to a window in my heart where even the smallest acts of kindness become a celestial scene—A PORTRAIT IN THE SNOW.

Lord, thank you for giving me hands that can bless. When I do so, my eyes and my heart, witness Your majesty.

© Kimberly Clayton 2014

No comments: