Sunday, February 1, 2015

JESUS, OUR RESURRECTOR AND ADVOCATE

Then the Jews said, "See how he loved him" John 11:36 (NIV).

Jesus wept. John 11:35 is the shortest sentence in the Bible. Jesus wept over the death of His friend, Lazarus. It was a very human emotion. Many wept in Bethany, including Lazarus' two sisters, Mary and Martha. They could not understand why Jesus lingered before coming as soon as He learned Lazarus was ill. Jesus' heart for mankind gleamed through His tears. But, He had a purpose for delaying His arrival. He knew that if He waited, the end result would glorify God.

Thinking of my five relatives who passed away within the last three years, my mother and sister were Christians, but I do not know the heart of our son, nephew, and great uncle. Only God knows. They will always remain in my prayers.

But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father---Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world. 1John 2:1b, 2.

When thinking of the sacrifice Jesus made, feelings of humbleness fill me to the point of tears. I am sad and remorseful but, at the same time, happy. Jesus' love for me is an assurance that I will see my mother, sister and son again, and that brings me peace.

Father Jehovah, thank You for Your gift of love, our Savior, Jesus Christ, for without Him, we would be lost. Amen.

(c) 2014 E. Bonnie Ryan

No comments: