Saturday, May 5, 2012

KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN

Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. John 3:9 (NAS)

When I moved into my home, the backyard shed was full of items left by the previous owner. I enlisted my grown son to help clean it out.

We found tools that were possibly antiques, interesting objects that we could not identify, items to save for future use, and some things that I would rather not have discovered.

It was a haven for spiders of all sizes. Ants and a variety of other insects had found refuge there. At least two snakeskins on a shelf indicated that a very large black snake had occupied the space. Removing the cloth covering from an old push mover, we discovered a mound of what appeared to be rodents nests.

Enough was enough! I stood in the doorway, hands on my cheeks, eyes closed, and let out a screech. I did not even see the mouse that ran between my legs. But my son saw it and laughed about my lack of awareness. Then he told me what happened.

Sometimes we tend to see what we want to see. but God calls us to keep our eyes open and be aware.When we discern evil we must avoid it ourselves. Yet we are called to extend His healing, mercy, forgiveness and salvation to others involved in evil and unaware of His grace.

Our purpose is to be wise and knowing about both the good and the evil around us and live our lives accordingly.

Father God, Keep our eyes open to what is most important. Equp us to use Godly discernment as wwe function in this world in your service.

(C) Christy Struben 2012

No comments: