Saturday, May 12, 2012

The First Mother's Day


Adam lay with his wife Eve, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Cain. Genesis 4:1 (NIV)

The first Mother's Day was the day Eve gave birth to her first son. That was the day she became a mother. It must have been both scary and wonderful for Eve. She suffered the pain of childbirth and the joy of holding the first child ever born. It was all trial and error. Eve had no mother of her own. She had no one to turn to for child rearing advice.

From that day forward Eve had many children. Each child came with it's own special sets of difficulties and blessings. But the first birth was the one I am sure she remembered the most.

Even though it has been over 30 years since I had my first child, I still remember every detail of that day. When I first set eyes on him I knew my life would never be the same. My heart swelled up with a love that I had never known.

Then my daughter was next. I wanted to be the kind of mother that she would want to pattern herself after; one who would always be there with good advice and a strong shoulder to cry on.
My precious baby son came last. He also came with special circumstances. Like the others it was a joy to raise him into a fine upstanding man.

Each Mother's Day I get to hear “Happy Mother's Day” three times---music to my ears.

Thank you God for allowing me the privilege of motherhood. Help me fulfill your purpose in my life by being the best mother I can be for my children.

© 2012 Dawn M Sexton 

No comments: