Friday, December 10, 2010

Songs in the Night

I thought about the former days, the years of long ago; I remembered my songs in the night. My heart mused and my spirit inquired. Psalm 77:5, 6 (NIV)

When my oldest son was a baby, we moved to the suburbs west of Chicago. Late at night, Moody radio broadcast a unique program called “Songs in the Night.” Soft-spoken Bob Pierce was the host. God touched my young maternal heart through inspirational music, timely scripture and encouraging words. My spirit was lifted and I was motivated to draw closer to my Savior. I have never forgotten those nightly reminders of God’s presence. Years later I heard that the name of this special program was retired when Mr. Pierce went home to be with the Lord.

In the passage cited, the psalmist was in distress and his “soul refused to be comforted” (Psalm 77:2c). Then he remembered how God spoke to him when he cried out for help, and recalled God’s miracles of long ago. He was comforted by memories of God’s presence, and rested in the assurance that the Lord would again hear his prayers and come to him quietly with songs in the night.

As we recall God’s faithfulness through the years, we can be assured that He will comfort and be present with us when we are “too troubled to speak” (Psalm 77:4b). Our memories of the ways God has used friends, speakers, books and music to touch our hearts and speak to us remind us of how much He cares for us.

Thank You, Father, for the reminders of Your love through the beauty of Your songs in the night. In Jesus name, Amen.

© 2010 Diane E. Hussey

1 comment:

Christy said...

Sweet, sweet story! Gives me chills!!