Monday, December 27, 2010

Dad's Presence

Your Father knows what you need before you ask Him. Matthew 6:8b (NIV)

When I was about eight years old, my father was in a terrible accident. He and a few of his co-workers were involved in an explosion, in which one man died. Dad was in very serious condition. It happened right before Christmas, so my mom, brother and I were sad that Dad would be in the hospital instead of home with us.

We were also short of money that year, so Mom bought used bicycles for my brother and me. She painted mine green, and my brother’s red.

On Christmas Day we had a wonderful surprise; Dad was able to come home for a few hours. He was in a wheelchair, but he was with us. And my brother and I were thrilled with our “new” bikes. I rode mine until I left home for college.

Because our family was facing a difficult time, my mother knew it would be important to make this a special Christmas. She went out of her way to show how much she loved us. The most wonderful gift of all was Dad’s presence.

God also understands what we need before we ask Him. He provides simple blessings every day: food, shelter, clothes and bikes for Christmas. But He adds special blessings, too. He blessed our family by sparing my father’s life and making it possible for him to join us for Christmas. Best of all, He blessed us with a Savior, whose birth we celebrate on Christmas Day.

Dear Father, thank You for knowing what we need before we ask, and for loving us so much that You sent Your Son as Your gift to us. In Jesus Name, Amen.

© 2010 Diane E. Hussey

1 comment:

Christy said...

What a sweet story of a powerful Christmas memory.