Friday, December 31, 2010

525,600 Minutes

If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised throught Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 4:11 (NIV)

New Years Eve is a traditional time to look back on the past year and forward to the year ahead. In doing so, it helps me to gain spiritual perspective by asking myself a few questions.

First, "How has the Lord moved in my life this year?" It is humbling to ponder how my King has dealt with me. Until I take time to reflect, I often fail to notice the sweet, quiet, yet powerful way He orders my life and answers my prayers. Most recently, two people whom I love put their homes up for sale. We prayed for quick results. In a stagnant real estate market, both properties sold in less than two weeks. Thank you Lord.

My second question is, "What was accomplished for my Lord this year?" I always fall short when attempting to answer honestly. Success only comes when I draw close to His will just as surely as prayer before writing yields the best results.

My heart asks, "How can I better serve the Lord in the New Year?" Perhaps I will work more diligently to get the book published that the Lord urged me to write. Perhaps I will yield more completely in my prayer life.

There are approximately 525,600 minutes in a year. The most important question is, "How many of those precious moments that God has alloted me will be used to serve Him?"

Dear Lord, thank You for all that You have done for me in the past year. Help me to serve you every moment that I can in the coming year.

Christy Struben (c) 2010

1 comment:

Virginia said...

I don't know if I'll remember 525,000 minutes - but the message impresses me there is a lot of time to make decisions to follow Christ. May I hear his voice and do things his way. Thanks for the inspiration.