Friday, April 2, 2010

Death's Defeat

Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
1st Corinthians 15:57 (KJV)


The Lamb was slain. Glory be to the Lamb. The Lamb has risen. Glory be to God.

Jesus was nailed to the cross to die for our sins. Three days later He defeated death. I cannot begin to imagine what went through the minds of those who got to see and speak with Jesus that day. They witnessed a historic event. Yet, most had little idea of the significance of this event which would change the way the world views Jesus.

Through Jesus' act of obedience and sacrifice we are able to claim victory over the power of sin and death. We no longer have to be under their control. Death can no longer defeat us. Because Jesus is alive, we too shall live.

Growing older, I realize that I am getting closer to death's door. Even though spring is around the corner, I know that I am no spring chicken. Passing the half century mark, I sometimes find it hard to keep up with the pace of everyday living. But I do not fear death. Why? Because Jesus has already defeated it for me. I am free from death's grasp.

During this Sunday's Easter celebrations, I am reminded of the love that Jesus must have felt for me to so willingly take my place on the cross. I want to live each day as a witness to others of the power that can only come from Jesus. Death has no sting or power over me.

Thank you, Jesus, for giving me the victory over death. Thank you for the life you gave to save me.

© 2010 Dawn M Sexton

No comments: