Friday, March 26, 2010

He Leadeth Me

He leadeth me in paths of righteousness for His name sake..." Psalm 23:3b (KJV)

The big snow storm of 1996 was a real trial for my husband and I as well as our pets. Disabled for thirty-eight years, Charlie had a hard time walking in the snow. Determined to clear our long driveway and sidewalk, he bought a snow blower. He also wanted to clear a place in the yard for the dogs to walk. We had two Chihuahuas and a Pug. Neither of them was very tall. A snow that big would swallow them.

When it began snowing, the dogs seemed confused. The snow changed the landscape, covering the familiar odors that let them know their potty territories. Upon taking them out in the deepening snow, we realized by trial and error that they were not going to cooperate. Charlie devised another tactic. I heard him outside clearing the road and sidewalk. It surprised me to see him making several paths in our field. He later explained that they were for walking the dogs. As long as they could see and smell the grass and earth, they would be content, making it easier for all of us.

While Charlie was outside with the dogs, the words, 'paths of righteousness' came to my mind. I pictured Jesus walking in front of me on a path strewn with flowers. "Follow me," He seemed to say, and I did. A contentment I could only imagine washed over me. The 'paths of righteousness' seemed to parallel the white paths Charlie made, reminding me that Christ leads me.

Thank You, Father, for leading us to new paths and showing us better ways to work and live. Amen.

(c) 2010
E. Bonnie Ryan

1 comment:

Christy said...

Nice use of a worldly occurance to explain a heavenly grace.