Friday, March 19, 2010

Faith Lessons

Though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food…yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior. Habakkuk 3:17b,18 (NIV)

The continuing instability of our financial institutions, the high unemployment rate and the corruption of our political leaders, cause many of us to feel anxious about the future of this country. Some families have suffered financial setbacks and lost their homes to foreclosure.

Although we suffer and have problems in this life, we can still choose to trust God and find joy in the midst of pain. The prophet Habakkuk watched calamity come upon the nation of Israel as crops failed and there was no food, but he chose to step out in faith and be joyful in the Lord. In verse 19, Habakkuk declares, “The Sovereign Lord is my strength.” God may not end our problems immediately or improve our financial situation. He will be with us and strengthen us to endure what is happening. As we learn to rejoice in the midst of trials, we grow in our relationship with our Lord. He works to build His character in us. As we allow God to heal and change us, relationships with family and friends improve. We begin to realize the true riches in this life are replacing the worldly wealth we rely on. We can move forward with confidence that God’s grace is sufficient for us because His “power is made perfect in weakness.” (paraphrase of 2 Cor.12:9 NIV).

Dear Father: I need Your strength when I face problems in life. I choose to rejoice in the midst of trials knowing I can trust You to change me so I become more like Jesus. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

© 2010 Diane E. Hussey

1 comment:

Christy said...

Well said! It is hard to describe the peace that passes all understanding. It comes only from God.