Thursday, April 29, 2010

Don't Look Down

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding.
Prov. 3:5 (NJKV)


My husband, and I, with another couple, spent the weekend at their hunting cabin deep in the Pennsylvania hills. During our stay we went hiking and came upon a fire tower. Our footsteps clanked loudly echoing through the hills as we noisily climbed, going around and around, until we reached the top.

We emerged high above the trees to witness a spectacular view. Certainly, the Fire Guard could spot suspicious smoke from here.

Upon descending, the others hurried ahead, but I wanted to take one more photo. After all, it’s not often you can see three states from one place: Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Maryland.

Starting down, I froze. I could see through the metal steps down to the ground. Terror gripped my heart. A call for help stuck in my throat. The others were far ahead, and their noisy exit drowned out my pitiful squeak for help.

Finally, Pat returned and saw my predicament. She advised, “Sit on this step. Look at me. Now scoot down the next step. Keep looking at me. Do not look down.” She continued coaching until I could manage.

Jesus called Peter to walk on water. Taking his eyes off Jesus, he sank. (Matt. 14:28-30). No matter what challenges come our way, the situation always looks worse when we focus on the problem and not on Jesus. As I needed to keep my eyes on Pat, we would do well to keep our eyes on Jesus and not the problem.

Dear Lord, Thank you for being our Savior and always available. Your mercy and love is greater than any problem. Forgive us when we fall short. Amen

© 2010 Lois Gosley

1 comment:

Christy said...

I can hear your writers voice in this one. Nice job!