Friday, January 29, 2010

Bath Time

After that he poureth water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded (John 13:5 KJV)

My kids used to complain about taking a bath at the end of the day. They weren’t dirty; they took a bath yesterday. But they played hard, lived close to the ground, and couldn’t avoid accumulating grime.

Sometimes I think of that when I read the story of Jesus washing the disciples’ feet. Why would He do that? Presumably they’d all been baptized, spiritually washed, yet every day, they needed help getting rid of toxic muck. Even though Jesus was with them all the time, they wouldn’t let some children talk to Him, bickered about who would sit at His right hand and fell asleep in the Garden of Gethsemane.

That puts me in “good” company when I don’t invite a friend to church, speak irritably or fall asleep without praying. Of course, “They did it too” is not a good excuse. The Lord calls us to come and keep coming to His side where He forgives and gives us rest. He reminds me that being baptized is just the first giant step in learning to walk with Him. After that, I need my spiritual feet, hands, heart and soul scrubbed down over and over in order to serve Him well.

Prayer: Lord, Help me to stay always in your presence, ask your forgiveness and be acceptable in your sight. Amen.

© 2010 V. Colclasure

2 comments:

Dawn said...

We all need to renew our lifes each day. I do like how you started this devotion out. Good job.

Stephanie said...

Ah yes, this is what keeps us humble!