Friday, January 8, 2010

Making Sauerkraut

And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee; for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. Matthew 5:30 (KJV)

Mother and I make sauerkraut every three years. This is the year. I cut every head of cabbage out of the garden, thankful for each one. I washed and cut away imperfections that could contaminate the finished product. As I did so, I remembered Matthew 5:30.

God did not mean we should literally cut off our hand, but that we should cut the imperfection of sin out of our lives. Stop doing the unclean thing that offends God. He wants us to live our lives so that we can come before Him cleansed of every offense due to the blood of His Son, Jesus.

Shredding the cabbage, adding the salt and packing it into the large crock, I thought of another Bible verse: For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt...Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another. Mark 9:49b, 50 (KJV)

Salt cleanses the cabbage of harmful bacteria. The spiritual salt extracts sin from our thoughts and actions, covering us with the cleansing grace of Jesus Christ. We can have peace with one another and a good standing before God.

Heavenly Father, help me to cut the sin from my life. Cure me with Your love through the blood of Jesus. Amen

(c)2009 Bonnie E. Ryan

No comments: