Friday, January 22, 2010

Mirrors

Mirrors

For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror; for once he as looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was. James 1:23-24 (NASB)

We all have days when we try to justify our actions and see ourselves in a better light than our actions warrant. When I take care of my three year old twin grandchildren, I occasionally become impatient with their dawdling. We need to put shoes and socks on to get out the door, but one sock is missing, or they put their shoes on the wrong feet - again. I fuss at them because we are running late. I rationalize my harsh words because I want to get everyone going on time no matter how I get it done. In my anxious desire to be punctual, I sometimes forget to show patience and love as I care for these special little ones. My most important role is to reflect Jesus to them.

James reminds us that God’s word is like a mirror in which we look to see a reflection of who we really are rather than who we imagine ourselves to be. When I peer into God’s word, I can see His truth about myself and discern what changes He wants to make in my life. If I merely glance at His precepts, then turn away to live my life as usual, I miss an opportunity to become the person He wants me to be.

Dear Father: Please give us the discernment to see the truth about ourselves through Your word. Strengthen us to surrender to the changes You want to make in our lives. In Jesus Name, Amen.

© 2010 Diane E. Hussey

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I hate looking in a mirror, but I do like how you put this devotion together. We need to be in God's Word daily and not forget that it is Jesus we serve.