Saturday, May 25, 2019

REMEMBERING WW II


He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust.” Psalm 91:1-2 (NIV)

I recently bought a book of memories of World War II by residents of Avondell senior home.  It inspired me to write my own memories. As I did so, the major theme that emerged was my protection from the horrors of war. As a four-to-eight year-old during the war years, I didn’t really understand all that was happening. But my location in Fredericktown, Missouri, in the heart of the United States, kept me safe from the enemy.

Everyone had a Victory Garden for their table. We also had a chicken coop for eggs and Sunday dinner. Mother would grab a chicken and go through all the mess to pluck and prepare it. Her fried chicken is the best ever!

Ironically, I remember the summer of 1944 as the most fun summer I ever had. My buddies and I played baseball with a tennis ball and a corkball bat, and we had clubhousesone in a treehouse and another behind Don Montgomery’s house. Meanwhile, terrible struggles were happening at Normandy, Saipan, Guam and other places. Allied bombing was making German children’s lives miserable, but in the safety of middle-America, I felt completely secure.

 Although the armed forces of the United States were the means of protection, it was God who protected me and allowed me to grow and develop through a fun, nourishing childhood. Now I am able to give Him thanks and serve Him according to His plan. God has always been my fortress.

Lord, thank You for your constant protection and leading me into life abundant!

No comments: