Friday, September 15, 2017

WAS THAT ME IN THE GARDEN?


Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”
Gen 3:8-9 (NIV)

Was that me in the garden that warm sunny day resting in a bed of wildflowers under a canopy of trees?

Unclothed and unashamed, I closed my eyes feeling the gentle breeze tickle my cheek. My friend, the serpent, awakened me for our stroll in the garden. We chatted merrily as we wandered through the trails and along the stream.

My mouth began to water as we reached the tree with the forbidden fruit. Every day the serpent encouraged me to sample its delicious offerings. Always, I refused and walked away.

But not today.

The fruit, so pleasing to my eyes, beckoned me like a long-lost friend. I took the fruit and brought it to my lips. After seeing no harm come to me, my husband took the next bite.

Everything changed.

The sweetness of the fruit turned bitter and our eyes were opened. I closed my eyes tightly, willing them to return to the way things were. The serpent looked quite pleased with himself when the Lord found us and swiftly passed judgment. We were banished from our home forever.

As we walked away from the garden into the strange land, I looked back to consider all we had lost. A lone tear coursed down my cheek as the chasm between us widened with each step. Emptiness replaced the joy in my heart.

Why, Oh Lord, do we trade the perfection of Your love for the seductive lies of the world?
 
© 2017 Amy A. Verzi

1 comment:

Cara Sue Achterberg said...

Beautiful reflection that made me pause this morning and think about the trade-offs I've made.