Friday, September 8, 2017

BIRDS IN MY FLOWERS

If you come across a birds nest in any tree or on the ground, with young ones or eggs and the mother sitting on the young or on the eggs, you shall not take the mother with the young. Deuteronomy 22:6 (ESV)

Last week while watering my hanging plants, I noticed a tiny bird fly away as I took the beautiful begonia down. The begonia was full of hot pink double blossoms. While watering it, I noticed a deep depression beneath some of the leaves in the middle of the plant.

Oh, no. A bird built a nest in the center and laid two eggs. I was mesmerized by the tiny oval eggs. After carefully watering the plant, I hung it back up.

Every day while watering, I checked the nest. New eggs were added until there were five in the nest. A few days later there were two tiny, naked baby birds huddling together. What a wonder it was to be able to witness the miracle of birth in such tiny creatures.

The mother bird scolded me loudly from a nearby tree when I took the nest down to check her babies. After I put it back, she continued caring for them. I thought how God loves and cares for us and Matthew 10:29, 31 came to mind. "Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? And one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. Fear not therefore, you are of more value than many sparrows." It makes one humble to know how much we are loved.

Thank You, Father, for allowing me to enjoy one of Your little flying creatures. You created all life; may we all give You praise every day for our blessings. Amen.

© 2017  Evelyn B. Ryan

No comments: