Saturday, August 12, 2017

NO! NO! NO!

No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Corinthians 2:9 (NIV)

"Pick him up and put him in a seat," I told the distraught father who was trying to persuade his kindergarten son to get on my school bus. The frightened boy cried and screamed "No! No! No!" As soon as the father set his son in a seat, like a streak of lightning, he was out the door before his dad could catch him.

Once again the father picked up his crying son, trying to console him. As soon as he was carried to the bus door, the boy planted his feet on each side of the door and locked his knees so his dad couldn't get him into the bus. It was plain to see the boy had never ridden a bus before and was traumatized by its size.

I had waited longer than my schedule allowed, so I told the dad to get on and ride to school with his son to calm him down. I would drop him off here on my way back to the bus lot.

Isn't this the way many balk at giving in to the gentle nudging of the Holy Spirit? The little boy didn't know all the exciting things he was going to learn. We don't know all the wonderful things God has prepared for those who love Him either. We do know that it will be better and more abundant than anything we know or will ever experience in this life.

Father, calm our fears. May Your gracious love draw us to You, running.

© 2017  Evelyn B. Ryan

2 comments:

Lois said...

Evelyn, I loved this devotion. It is loving and sensitive like you. Congratulations. Love Lois

Evelyn R. said...

Thank you, Lois. I feel the same way about you. And besides all that warm sensitivity, you have the best sense of humor I have ever seen or heard. God bless you. Love, Evelyn