Friday, August 25, 2017

A VIEW FROM EIGHTY

5 And Moses, the servant of the Lord died there in Moab as the Lord had said. 7 Moses was a hundred and twenty years old when he died, yet his eyes were not weak nor his strength gone. Deuteronomy 34:5, 7(NIV)
I recently turned 80 years old. It seems such a big number. I’m blessed with great healthy—vigorous, but conscious of little aches and pains that come from time to time. I begin to wonder if this is the onset of arthritis or something that will debilitate me.
 
But, in Jesus’ name, I am just getting started. As His disciple, I have everlasting life. The mathematical symbol for infinity (everlasting) is an eight on its side, .  The fraction of my life so far can thus be expressed as 80/∞. Mathematically, that is zero percent! Eighty years are just getting started.
 
I believe I’ll be here on earth as long as God has stuff He wants me to do or someone he wants me to be. For example, God had lots for Moses to do, and it took Moses 120 years to get it all finished to God’s satisfaction. I can live with that perspective.
 
A lot of advertising is for products and services directed to prolonging life. If there is a “secret” to long life, it is to stay useful to God. As long as God has more for us to do and we’re obedient to Him, He will keep us around. We can be at peace with that. Lord, lead us on.
 
Pray: Lord, lead me on. I want to be useful to you.
 
© 2017 Parker Wayland

1 comment:

Lois said...

Very good, Parker. We are just getting started. we will keep on keeping on. Good message.