Friday, August 5, 2016

UNINTENDED IDOLS


Thus says the Lord GOD, Any man of the house of Israel who sets up idols in his heart, puts right before his face the stumbling block of his iniquity, and then comes to the prophet, I the LORD will be brought to give him an answer in the matter in view of the multitude of his idols. Ezekiel 14:4 (NAS)

Blessed with a daughter and son after many years of marriage, my desire was to raise them in a loving, Christian home. It was after my son’s senior year of high school that a terrifying situation left me sobbing face down on the carpet praying desperately for his life. God spoke these words deep into my heart.

"Do you love him more than Me?”

I was stunned. When God asks a question He already knows the answer. There was no need to evade the stinging truth. He had laser-pointed my problem.

My son had become an idol. In fact, I had made idols of both my children. But, God in His immeasurable wisdom was dealing specifically with the matter I had laid before Him. 

Thinking I was only being the loving mother God called me to be, I had gradually placed my son on God’s throne. I got up and for two days wrestled with my heart.  Finally, able to say and honestly mean it with my whole being, “No God, I love You more. No matter what. I love You more.” 

Overwhelming peace poured over me. Several years have passed; the struggles continue in many areas of my life. But, God has drawn me close and shown me more of the depths of His great love. He remains on the throne of my heart helping me through. 

Father, I will continually praise You in gratefulness for Your guiding hand along this journey toward Heaven. Amen.

 
© 2016 Bonnie Mae Evans

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Hello, Bonnie. Sometimes I think all mothers put their children on an idol platform. I think about our daughter and wonder if I do the same. She means so much to me, but before she was born I gave her back to God. I know she is His and I am so grateful to have her in my life. She truly has been a "godsend" to me and has made my life so much happier than before she came. She "completed" me. I have done all that I promised God I would do. I know we are all on borrowed time, so I am so grateful for what God gave me in my life. He has been so good to me and I count my blessings and thank Him for everything. He is God, my Creator and I love Him so much. Hang in there, dear friend. Give your children over to Him and let Him work in their lives. He will draw them to Himself when the time is right. It's in His time and not ours that He works. God bless you.

Evelyn